Saturday, February 11, 2012

Beef in Red Wine with Kumara Mash (low calorie)

In my recent weight loss journey (4 kgs down this year) I have been experimenting with new low calorie recipes and love it when I have a win like this one- a meal that is just as satisfying as any higher calorie alternative. The way the meat is braised in red wine means that zero fat even touches the beef, and the kumara mash (sweet potato) with the addition of a dash of orange juice proves a zestier and healthier alternative to potato mash. This recipe is from a cookbook I am in love with at the moment, Womens Weekly 'Super Diet', where all the calorie breakdowns have already been done for you so makes my life easier. The only thing that would have made this dish better would be a big glass of good red wine, but due to my 'Febfasting' (almost to the half way point!) I settled for diet soda instead.

Beef in Red Wine with Kumara Mash (this serves four, I halved the recipe)

4 cloves garlic
3 cups red wine
2 cups water
8 sprigs fresh thyme
600g middle-cut beef eye fillet
1 large sweet potato
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
Asparagus, grilled (my addition)

1. Bruise unpeeled garlic by hitting with the flat blade of a heavy knife.
2. Combine garlic, wine, water and thyme in a large deep saucepan and bring to the boil. Boil for five minutes. Add beef, simmer, uncovered for about 30 minutes or as desired, turning beef once. Remove beef, wrap in foil and stand for ten minutes (Don't hesitate to ask butcher when buying the meat how long it will take to get to your desired colour- I did my 300gram piece for only 10-15 minutes as I like it quite rare).
3. Meanwhile make mash- steam kumara (cut into pieces) until soft. Cool. Peel kumara, place in large saucepan, roughly mash. Add juice and thyme, stir over medium heat until hot. Season to taste. (Don't be afraid to try the orange juice! It really bought out some great flavours in the kumara).
4. Slice beef, serve with kumara mash, asparagus and mustard.
(384 calories)

L x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment or question about my adventures! =)