Sunday, March 4, 2012

Recent Eats- February

Roast Pork Buns from Eastern Court, Templestowe- Gosh I had missed these since my trip to Malaysia where I ate them for breakfast all the time. Little pockets of BBQ pork. Amazing.  



Salad Day at School- This was our Valentines feast in my wonderful office at school. We were trying to put a healthy spin on a pot luck lunch and the result was great. Every one bought a different salad and we ended up with caprese salad, garden salad, fruit salad, potato salad, beetroot and walnut, pumpkin and fetta, asian noodle salad and chargrilled vegie salad. Such a great way to spend a lunch time!


Duck Spring Rolls at Hollyhock, Port Melbourne- this little entree was amazing. Hollyhock is a cool little restaurant on the wharf in Port Melbourne and we loved this entree. The crispy spring rolls were stuffed with tender duck, crunchy vegetables and soft noodles. The satay dipping sauce was great too.

Slow Cooker Pork Tacos- this yummy Sunday night dinner was so easy to make. The taco part of it is pretty self explanatory- soft tacos, corn kernels, lettuce and guacamole. The pork was the standout and such an easy thing to do in a slow cooker. Basically, I just marinated a pork fillet in garlic, chilli, honey, oregano, cinnamon, cumin and bay leaves with a dash of olive oil and let it roast all day. By the time I took it out of the slow cooker, the fillet pretty much fell apart it was so tender. Perfect for soft taco's on a balmy summer evening!

Veal Primavera- another super easy meal to make. I made a double batch and froze some also. Simply saute some red onion with garlic and lean veal strips. Add cherry tomatoes, asparagus, mushroom and zucchini. Splash in some balsamic vinegar reduction and some basil. Serve with your favourite pasta. So easy and healthy!


Salt and Pepper Calamari, Chin Chin- Yes, I admit it. I have visited Chin Chin YET AGAIN. I just can't seem to stay away. I tried the S&P calamari for the first time today, and it was fabulous. Soft on the inside, crispy on the outside, tossed with Thai Basil and chillies with a great spicy dipping sauce. Chin Chin is yet to disappoint.


JOY CANDLE range... almost edible- I am spruiking these for a good friend and amazing businesswoman friend of mine, Ash of Ash Macdonald salon in Epping. She has just introduced this amazing range of soy candles that are completely organic and safe. And whilst this may be a food blog and these are candles, I can tell you after buying several of them so far that they are almost good enough to eat. In particular the watermelon and green apple make you want to lick them. Details at http://ashmacdonald.com.au/.



In other news- I survived FEBFAST. 29 days without a drop of alcohol, and surprisingly, it was easy. I drank lime and soda out of a wine glass, felt clear-headed every day and really enjoyed the detox. The ONLY time I missed alcohol was when I was eating an amazing meal that should have been paired with a great glass of wine. I have definitely changed my attitude towards alcohol and see now that it can be a 'treat' rather than a regular drink.


Until next time,

L xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment or question about my adventures! =)