Sunday, April 29, 2012

Pizza Night @ My House

I have a confession to make.

I am a pizza snob.

I actually dislike 'normal' pizza so much. I find it so hard to find any combination of toppings on your average takeaway menu. I refuse to eat anything that sounds boring or normal. My partner absolutely hates this because he loves a good greasy American pizza from a box, but I always insist on driving twenty minutes to go to my favourite woodfired pizza restaurant so I can get a super trendy thin crust woodfired gourmet pizza with the very best toppings. Snobby, I know.

However, I am a huge fan of home-made pizzas. We buy our bases from Cleo's Deli, my favourite local shop that I cannot speak highly enough of. She stocks two brands, bases that already have tomato paste on them and softer woodfired ones that you add your own tomato too. This particular evening we had the woodfired ones as I had made my own tomato pizza sauce from leftover tinned tomatoes (so easy- just tomatoes, tomato paste, italian herbs and a dash of balsamic. Simmer for half an hour or so on low, refrigerate).

The best thing about homemade pizzas is that you can actually put whatever your heart desires on them, or whatever is in the cupboard. In this case it was a bit of an inventive evening using up whatever vegetables, cheeses etc I had on hand. The boy just kind of lets me do my thing chucking whatever I want on them and hoping that they will compare to the greasy local takeaway one... they always do. So I thought I would share with you the flavour combinations I tried that you may want to experiment with at home- straight from the mouth of a pizza snob!

Moroccan Vegetable- tomato sauce on base, mozzarella, mushroom, roasted pumpkin, roasted eggplant, red onion, low fat ricotta cheese, a sprinkle of cumin and a sprinkle of sesame seeds. Would have also been great if I had spinach on hand.



Proscuitto with Asparagus and Balsamic- tomato sauce on base, mozzarella, proscuitto, asparagus, red onion and a drizzle of balsamic reduction.


Why not try and be a little more inventive next time you make home-made pizzas?! Let me know how you go.

L x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment or question about my adventures! =)