Saturday, May 26, 2012

The Gluten Free Challenge- Strawberry and Passionfruit Friands

It was Australia's Biggest Morning Tea at school this week, so I decided to make another of my gluten free challenge dishes. I had fallen in love with a strawberry and passionfruit combination after having the best muffin of my life from Tanck's Corner, my local coffee shop that beautifully paired strawberry and passionfruit.

So I decided to attempt to make this in gluten free, friand form! They were super yummy bite sized treats (I used a mini muffin tray) and my gluten intolerant friend was very impressed. They didn't last long at the morning tea either, which obviously speaks for itself ;)

Gluten free Strawberry and Passionfruit Friands


200 grams of unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups of gluten free plain flour
1 cup of icing sugar
120 grams of almond meal
5 egg whites
1 small tin of passionfruit pulp
10 strawberries, hulled and chopped

Preheat oven to 180°C. Melt butter and use a little to grease a 12-hole friand pan or muffin tin. I used a mini muffin tin and it worked just as well. Dust with a little flour, shaking out excess. The flour dusting means that the friands should just pop out of the tin really easily.

Sift the flour and sugar into a large bowl, then stir in the almond meal.

Place eggwhites in a small bowl and lightly froth with a fork. Add to the dry ingredients with the melted butter and stir until completely combined. Add the strawberries and passionfrui pulp and stir again.

Fill each friand/muffin hole 3/4, trying to make sure each one has at least one or two pieces of strawberries. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until golden on top. Be careful you don't overcook if using the mini muffin tin. Remove from oven and leave in the pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack- they will firm up whilst cooling.

You could use any kind of combination you like with this recipe- chocolate chips and hazelnuts, mixed berries, lemon etc.

Enjoy! x



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment or question about my adventures! =)