Thursday, July 26, 2012

Healthy Banana Bread Muffins

I have made these banana bread muffins twice this week and they are simply beautiful for something that is quite healthy. They are gluten free and dairy free and apart from a tiny bit of olive oil, they are pretty much 'clean'! I have used a 'paleo' recipe which is a diet I have been reading a lot about lately, which is basically a caveman diet eating things that could be 'hunted and gathered'. There are SO many great Paleo recipes out there that it is hardly a boring way of living, and I encourage anyone wanting to add some healthier recipes into their diet to do some research on it. This recipe uses almond meal, which is quite high in calories and good fats, however both paleo and 'clean' eating diets recommend that you do up your good fat intakes with things like nuts, avocado and coconut milk.

Unlike many gluten free recipes that can be quite dense and crumbly, these muffins are moist and naturally sweetened with honey. You can see the original recipe here.


I didn't have any flaxseed so I added some quinoa flakes instead. I have never cooked with flaxseed before so I have no idea if quinoa flakes add the same texture, but they are yummy and give an oaty texture without using oats! Other than that, I followed the recipe exactly and the result was great.

In fact, I think I might heat one up now and have it with some natural yogurt and honey- almost like banana pudding. How great are guilt free desserts?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment or question about my adventures! =)