Saturday, June 16, 2012

Bhoj, Templestowe

Even though over the last year or so I have become an Urbanspoon snob, only visited restaurants that generally have a 75% rating or higher, there are some restaurants I still give a go regardless of poorer ratings on the website. I gave Bhoj a go on Friday night mostly because of sentimental reasons- it is the first place I ever ate Indian at, and where I fell in love with the food for the very first time. I am not sure why it took so long for us to really give Indian a go. We were always happy to try new things, but for some reason Indian scared us... maybe we thought it would be too spicy or something, who knows. But once we did try it, we never turned back. And now, Indian is my ultimate comfort food. Whenever I am feeling down or flat, I know the heady aroma's of Indian food and the warm comfort of a butter chicken or rogan josh with some naan will nourish me and lift the spirits. Forget any other kind of conventional comfort food- get me some Indian food ASAP!

So on Friday night we decided to revisit Bhoj since we had an Entertainment Book anyway. Having eaten much more Indian food since our last visit there, we now know that it probably isn't the best value or the best quality food Indian food around. Last night in particular, it was not the best we have had from there. But, it was very enjoyable and a great way to spend a cold Friday evening.

For entree we had some marinated lamb fillets and onion bhaji's. The lamb fillet was definitely the stand out dish- it was soooo good, perfectly cooked, melt in your mouth tender. The onion bhaji's are always enjoyable there, and I have decided it is time for me to learn how to cook them. Such a yummy little treat.





Our mains were pretty ordinary. The vegetable korma was nice but nothing outstanding. I usually love the chicken tikka here but today it was a little dry and bland, and wasn't presented all that well either. I don't think any Indian restaurant can go wrong with naan, there is not better way to soak up the curry sauce than with some warm, oily naan bread!




So overall, Bhoj is a fairly decent Indian restaurant... however, it is not the best in the area. I personally thought my dinner at Namaste in Bundoora a couple of months ago really outshined the food at Bhoj. However, I don't think I will ever stop having a soft spot for this quiet Templestowe restaurant after it first opened my eyes to the joys of Indian food!

Bhoj Indian Restaurant on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment or question about my adventures! =)