Monday, June 18, 2012

Roast Pumpkin Parpadelle

I am trying to eat more vegetarian dishes these days, both to save money and because of some reading I have been doing on some of the gross stuff that gets injected into animals before they hit our dinner plates. I am by no means becoming a vegetarian, and still love meat, but I am generally trying to create some really nice vegetarian dishes a few times a week. This one was definitely a winner, and I will be cooking it again for sure. Parpadelle is one of my favourite pasta's, I just love the soft texture and the way the sauce just clings to it. This beautiful pumpkin sauce does that very well.

Roast Pumpkin Parpadelle (serves 4)



2 cups of butternut pumpkin, chopped into 2 cm cubes
2 garlic cloves
Teaspoon of cumin
Teaspoon of ground sage or fresh sage leaves if available
100 mls of light cream
Red onion, sliced
Large handful of spinach
Small handful basil leaves
1/4 chopped feta
Olive oil
Store-bought, preferably fresh parpadelle.

Preheat oven to 180 degrees. In a casserole dish combine a dash of olive oil, pumpkin, garlic, cumin and sage. Bake for 45 mins or until pumpkin is soft. Allow to cool a little.

In a saucepan with a little oil, saute sliced red onion until soft (5 minutes or so).

Place cooled pumpkin in a food processer (alternatively you could use a barmix). Process until smooth, gradually adding cream to mix. Pour creamy sauce in with the red onion and add the chopped feta.

In a large saucepan, heat enough water to boil the parpadelle and salt. Cook pasta according to instructions and drain. Pour sauce over the parpadelle and toss spinach and basil through until wilted.

Serve with fresh parmesan cheese.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment or question about my adventures! =)